Friday, February 26, 2010

Sunnyside all ze' way around.






Yeah, I borrowed that quote from "Hot Dog." The finest ski movie ever made (at least if you were a teenager in the '80s). Yesterday we went all the way around the Olympics.

The day started early for Katy (see post from earlier). Once she returned it was down the canyon to the Olympic Park (cross country and jumping site). The local committee has this down: grab a bus, chill for a half hour, go through security, walk about a mile to the event, grab a beer or two, some poutine (the height of Canadian haute cuisine - google it if you are a heathen), watch the Norwegians go nuts, and enjoy them as they win the women's 4x5km relay race...

Next up nothing! So off to Monk's for a ridiculously bad lunch (weird as I have spent a few foggy afternoons there), get back some tickets we we're trying to sell, and then a nap. But no, let's grab a cocktail and chill. You know what? We get perfect seats for the women's US/Canadian Hockey Gold Medal game and begin to root for the US and give the Canadians a hard time. They give it back as the Americans lay an egg. A side note: I had tickets for this event in Vancouver, but sold them ahead of time and they basically funded the trip we are on now in Whistler. I am a huge women's hockey fan. Another side note: I had tickets for the Canadian/Russian Men's hockey game, which went to Doug and Darren, and who now are my indentured servants for the next 2 1/2 years.

So feeling no pain and full of Olympic spirit we got in line for the nightly medal ceremony. This is a free event event but a pain in the ass to get into as you gotta line up 3 hours ahead of time. We line up (Katy yells at me for cutting in line, as well as some Estonians. Pffft Estonians.) and begin to wait and wait. I do make friends w/ the local stoners behind us and then realize I really drank a fair amount at that hockey game. Katy said it wasn't in the spirit of the games to relieve oneself on a Dutch fan (have you seen their national color-ORANGE-awful). So, before I can start a cross border incident, the Olympic Gods plucked us from the hoi poloy (sp?). Some random stranger came up to us and gave us 2 passes to get in... Sweet Christ on a pogo stick! Fantastic!

Inside is great as everyone is psyched to watch the medals be given out, sing their national anthem , and then party afterward. Note the pics of Johnny Spilane winning Nordic combined and us w/ the flags behind us. Good good night.

We wrap up Friday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am assuming the second pair of gloves is for me - thanks guys! Sammy I have read your postings to everyone in my office and we are all laughing to tears. Keep it up - I feel as if I was there and the best part is imagining you peeing on the fans - classic. You missed your calling. much love@ Best

Foxwell said...

On a completely un-olympic note...I saw Hot Dog: The Movie in the theater...with my mom. I can only guess we thought it was going to be a Warren Miller-style movie. It wasn't.

Fans of cinema will undoubtedly recall that this epic tale of Dionysian enterprises featured a scene of simulated fellatio in a gondola (I'm assuming it was simulated).

This was 1984; I was 14.
Now, I have experienced many awkward moments in my life, but watching that scene while my mom sat next to me has to be one of the top five most awkward moments of my life.

Thanks for resurrecting that memory, Sam.

Foxwell said...

So Sam...
Beijing 2008 and now Vancouver in 2010...can we expect reports from London in 2012?

Your fans have become spoiled. I used to think of Jim McKay as the voice of the Olympics.

McKay has officially been replaced by the Baron of Ballard.

London 2012...think about it. I'll spring for the first round of bangers and mash. Hell, I'll even throw in some spotted dick to sweeten the deal.